seaside village east of Santander with a nice Gothic church and lighthouse.
Picturesque stone village 1 hour away by bus; visit the famous cave of Altamira.
Santander has some 180,000 inhabitants and is on the ocean. It features a small historic center and a handful of beaches. Its most famous tourist attraction is the Magdalena Palace which was used as a summer getaway of Spanish royalty.
- Tourist Information(Oficina de Turismo municipal),Jardines de Pereda, s/n. ☎ , fax: e-mail: email@example.com from Sep 16 until Jun 14 Mon to Fri 8:30AM to 7PM, from Sep 16 until Passion Week Sat and Sun 10AM to 7PM, from Passion week until Sep 14 10AM to 7PM every day, from Jun15 until Sep 14 from 9AM to 9PM every day M. Mm. M. M,,
- Castro-Urdiales: seaside village east of Santander with a nice Gothic church and lighthouse.
- Laredo (Spain): another seaside village to the East, the old quarter is worth a visit.
- Potes: this small village is the key to the Picos de Europa mountain range (which is a National Park), and the Liébana region. Good eating place, and the local orujo (a strong spirits drink) is highly recommended.
- Reinosa: the main town on southern Cantabria, it's a good base to explore the Cantabrian mountain range (Cordillera Cantábrica), with the Alto Campoo sky resort, the Roman city of Julióbriga and several Medieval churches close by.
- Santillana del Mar: Picturesque stone village 1 hour away by bus; visit the famous cave of Altamira.
- San Vicente de la Barquera - Sea-side fishing village, about 30 minutes by bus. See the fishing vessels unload what Madrid will be eating tomorrow. Fantastic tides, so stay for at least 6 hours. Nice Roman bridge.
- Valles Pasiegos: for a taste of rural Cantabria, no better place than the Valley of the Pas river, especially Toranzo, Selaya, Villacarriedo, Vega de Pas, San Roque de Riomiera and San Pedro del Romeral. Try the typical sobaos and quesadas, two traditional desserts.
- Ethnography Museum(Museo Etnografico de Cantabria Casa Velarde),Calle de los Heroes dos de Mayo, Muriedas, Camargo(5 ml/8 km from Santander),☎ from Jul until Sep Tue to Sat 10AM to 1PM, 4 to 7PM, Sun 11AM to 2PM, from October to June Tue to Sat 10AM to 1PM, 4 to 6PM, Sun 11AM to 2PM Historical 17th-century building, birthplace of Spanish artillery captain Pedro Velarde y Santillan, antiquities and period furnishings, kitchen utensils, paintings.