Go next (Up north)
city in Saint Louis County, Minnesota, United States
city in Minnesota, United States
city in Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States
capital of the state of Minnesota, United States; county seat of Ramsey County, Minnesota
Pine City is your quintessential, American small-town but it surprisingly offers a lot for its size. In recent years, the rural feel of the community has diminished some giving way to exurbia pushing outward from the Twin Cities. That said, Pine City has held true to its sense of place and community and doesn't at all feel swallowed up by its large metropolitan neighbors to the south. Pine City rests easily in the shadow of Minneapolis-St. Paul, sufficiently close for a quick side trip, sufficiently distant to enjoy a more tranquil existence.
Pine City is like an image that lingers in the American consciousness: an oak-lined courthouse square. Gazebos and band shells. One-chair barber shops. The town café, gossip for breakfast and meatloaf for lunch. It's small-town, downtown life, as it was and as it remains.
The city's politics are split between liberal and conservative with a slight advantage to the liberals. Carhardt is a popular brand worn on local, middle-aged men and its not uncommon to see fishing hooks attached to many of their hat bills. The typical Pine Citian says "You bet" in place of "yes". Yet, this is a place that mixes the true 'Up North' with a surprising level of sophistication; after all, it's an arts community.
While it's the biggest city around it for miles--from North Branch to Cloquet, and from Mora to Rice Lake, Wis. (a very large geographic area)--it's not a pious place and the people aren't pretentious. They show a fine display of "Minnesota Nice" and are eager to assist the tourist. To get a deeper understanding of the city, one has to visit it.
Go next (Rush City)
- Chucker's Bowl & Lounge
Go next (Hinckley)
- Combat Zone(paintball), 57631 Barns Spring Rd, Hinckley. + 1 320 384 0738. Take a chance and try something new, and then take out your aggression by shooting a cocky 14 year old in the head with a rock hard ball of paint.
Go next (Grantsburg, Wis.)
- Crex Meadows Wildlife Area 102 E. Crex Ave., Gransburg(north on Highway F out of Grantsburg),☎ Visitors center open 8-4:30 weekdays, 10-4 weekends / driving tours at any time A wide variety of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and insects also reside here. The rare sedge marsh and brush prairie habitats make the area a utopia for wildlife which, in turn, makes Crex a paradise for bird watchers, naturalists, botanists, hunters, trappers, and all the other hearty explorers who are interested in the great bounty that nature offers.
- Trade River Winery 21115 Deer Lane, Grantsburg(From St. Croix Falls: Hwy 87 N to Hwy 0. Go East to Hwy 48. Right on 48. From Grantsburg: Hwy 70 E to Cty Rd M. Right on M to Hwy 48. Right on 48.),☎ Trade River Winery - Unique, quality new- and old-world wines. Founded in 2001, Trade River Winery is a family-owned venture located on beautiful Trade Lake.$5 wine tastings
Go next (Up north)
- Drive up the North Shore of Lake Superior along 'Scenic 61'
- Set off for a camping/canoe trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area