Leicester (pronounced Less_ter) is one of the oldest English towns, having been founded by the Romans as Ratae Corieltauvorum in 50 CE. Its role as a Saxon town is less certain, but the medieval town walls and street plan retain exactly those of the Romans. It was rarely centre stage through the middle ages, so lacked political impetus nationally. While other such towns acquired cathedrals and grand civic functions, Leicester gradually built up a small scale industrial prosperity based around framework knitting. This used semi-automated, leased machines, operated in peoples own homes, to make stockings. Automation and factory building in the nineteenth century, enabled Leicester to grow in population, land area and prosperity, with both knitwear and machine manufacturing providing the bedrock of its economy. In the 1920s its size and significance was reflected in being granted city status. Presently, it is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United Kingdom. It is also Britain's first environment city. Leicester continued to grow rapidly throughout the 20th century. From the 1960s arrivals from the West Indies and Asians from east Africa and the Indian subcontinent added to that growth and more recently Somalia, west and southern Africa, and Poland have been some of the larger of many different national communities. The two universities also both have very high overseas student intakes, and Leicester now sees itself as a cosmopolitan city with friendly people from all races, backgrounds and cultures creating a culturally diverse city.
Ticket prices shown are those for one adult ticket and are subject to change.
- Leicester City Football Club, Filbert Way (King Power Stadium (formerly Walkers Stadium)). Football (Soccer) Tickets: £23-30.
- Leicester Tigers, Welford Rd (Welford Road Stadium). Rugby Union Tickets: £10-40.
- Leicestershire County Cricket Club, Grace Rd (County Ground). Tickets: £12.
- Leicester Lions, Beaumont Leys (The Lions). Speedway Tickets: £15.
- Leicester Riders, De Montfort University, The Gateway (John Sanford Sports Centre). Basketball Tickets: £10.
- Leicester Rowing Club, Upperton Rd.
- Leicester Blue Sox, Park View (Western Park). Baseball