The Tarentaise Valley is a national heritage area of exceptional importance:
- Natural heritage and landscape shaped by man.
- Religious heritage in a country filled by the Christianity since the 5th century. Then this heritage has been marked by the Baroque art.
- Civil heritage with its towers of defense or vestiges of the Gallo-Roman culture.
- At last, architectural heritage of mountains villages, and, closer to us, the craft or industrial heritages and leisure activities.
commune in Isère, France
French department in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps
former commune in Haute-Savoie, France
commune in Haute-Savoie, France
highest mountain in the Alps (4810 m)
Inhabited since Neolithic, Bozel is the quintessence of the Savoyard village since the Middle Ages.
Administrative Centre and shops at the valley below, and habitat shelled in seven hamlets clinging to the mountains: Villemartin, Tincave, The Mollinets, The Râtelard Lachenal, The Court, Les Moulins.
Bozel a shift from an altitude of 900 to 2558 meters, the summit of Mount Jovet. There, a 360 ° view: form the Mont Blanc Massif to the Vanoise glaciers.
In Bozel you walk in the footsteps of history: the "Sarazine Tower" (12th century) makes us imagine the Lords Rouge of Bozel's feudal power. The chapel of St. Barbe (16th century) recalls the strength and age of Christianity in the valley, to the Counter-Reformation Baroque.
While walking from village to village, you can also hear the echo of Tarines (cattle in the pasture of Tarentaise, used in France today to produce the cheese with a distinct flavor that comes from the high alpine villages of the Tarentaise valley), or locate the shaping of the landscape by obstinate mountain farmers, peasants became workers in the 20th century.
Today Bozel is a growing town, counting 2031 inhabitants in 2008.
- Winter opening hours (from Christmas holidays to mid-April) M-Sa 8:30AM-noon and 3PM-6:30PM. Su 8:30AM-noon.
- Off-season opening hours, M-Fr 9AM-noon and 3PM-6PM. Closed Saturdays and Sundays and holidays.
- Summer opening hours (July–August). M-Sa 9AM-noon and 3PM-7PM. Su 9AM-noon.
You can get out of Bozel and enjoy visiting Grenoble, in the French department of Isere. You can also visit many other nice places all around the Savoie, or Haute Savoie: Annecy is quite amazing, and of course, you have to go to Chamonix, and climb the Mont Blanc! Maybe you'll prefer to take the Aiguille du Midi cable car, one of the highest cable cars in the world.